Both PET film and PC film are common films on the market. About the difference between them, many people may not know much. This article will explain their differences from their materials, properties and applications.
PET VS PC
PET material is commonly known as polyester resin, which is the most important variety of thermoplastic polyester. PET is a milky white or light yellow highly crystalline polymer with a smooth and shiny surface. PET materials are mainly used for fibers, and a small amount is used for films and engineering plastics. PET can also be used in food and beverage packaging. Because PET is non-toxic, it is also preferentially used in the food industry.
The raw material of PC film is polycarbonate (PC), which is a colorless and transparent plastic. Polycarbonate is one of the fastest-growing engineering plastics. Polycarbonate is great for food packaging. For example, it can be made into bottles, cans and various forms of containers for packaging beverages, alcohol, milk and other fluid substances. Polycarbonate can also be used to make glazing, office equipment, door and window glass, laminates, etc.
Characteristics of PET Film and PC Film
PET Film Characteristics
- Oil resistance, fat resistance, dilute acid, dilute alkali, and most solvents.
- Has excellent high and low temperature resistance. PET film can be used for a long time in the temperature range of -70℃-120℃, and can withstand high temperature of 150℃ for short-term use. And high and low temperature have little effect on the mechanical properties of PET film.
- Low gas and water vapor permeability. PET film can block gas, water, oil and odor.
- High transparency, can block ultraviolet rays, and have good gloss.
- Non-toxic, tasteless, good hygiene and safety. PET film can be directly used for food packaging. And it is also preferentially used in the food industry.
Although PET film has many excellent properties. Similarly, it also has issues that we need to consider when choosing PET film:
- The price is more expensive.
- Difficult to heat seal, easy to carry static electricity.
- It is easy to produce rainbow patterns during the hardening process of the protective film.
PC Film Properties
PC (polycarbonate) film is a printable film with excellent printing accuracy. PC films are available in three finishes: smooth, matt or grained.
PC film has many advantages, such as:
- Has excellent physical and mechanical properties, especially excellent impact resistance, high tensile strength and compressive strength.
- It has good heat resistance and low temperature resistance, and has stable mechanical properties in a wide temperature range.
- Dimensional stability, electrical properties and flame retardancy, can be used for a long time at -60~120℃.
- Low water absorption, low shrinkage, and low film air permeability.
- Stable to light, but not UV-resistant, good weather resistance.
- Oil and acid resistance.
- Has excellent insulating properties.
Although PC film has many advantages. But when we choose PC film, its disadvantages are also to be considered:
- Poor fatigue strength, easy to produce stress cracking, poor wear resistance.
- Poor solvent resistance, not resistant to strong alkalis, oxidizing acids, amines and ketones.
- Soluble in chlorinated hydrocarbons and aromatic solvents, it is easy to cause hydrolysis and cracking in water for a long time.
Application of PET Film and PC Film
PET Film Application
- The tensile strength and impact strength of PET film are higher than those of ordinary films. Therefore, it can be made into mobile phone protective film, LCD TV protective film, mobile phone keys, etc.
- The PET film is dimensionally stable and suitable for secondary processing such as printing and paper bags.
- Electrical insulating materials and capacitors.
- It can be used for printed materials such as publications and packaging after printing and finishing with lamination.
- Widely used in packaging films of various products, etc.
- Shrink film for food, beverage market, electronic appliances, metal.
PC Film Application
- Mainly used for disk drive, keyboard, TV, monitor motherboard insulation.
- Suitable for special printing, helmets, signs, protective covers. It can also be used in instrument panels, light guides, and printing decoration equipment.
- Anti-scratch PC film can be used as protective film for electronic products such as mobile phones, MP4, monitors and so on.
Compared with PET film, PC film has less uses.
We are a professional PET film manufacturer. If you want to know more about PET film, you can consult us at any time.