What is polyester film?
Polyester Film definition:
Polyester film, is a polymer resin of the polyester family. Sometimes known as PET film (polyethylene terephthalate film)
Polyester or polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a high-performance, crystal clear thermoplastic made from ethylene glycol and dimethyl terephthalate (DMT)
Polyester film is a transparent, flexible film, ranging from 0.45 to 350 micron in thickness, used as a product component, in industrial processes, and for packaging. The most widely used type is produced from polyethylene terephthalate (i.e., Mylar). Polyester films based on other polymers or copolymers or manufactured by other methods are not identical, although they are similar in nature.
- Polyester film has excellent resistance to attack and penetration by solvents, greases, oils, and many of the commonly used electrical varnishes.
- Moisture absorption is less than 0.8% after immersion for a week at 25°C.
- Water-vapor permeability is similar to that of polyethylene film and permeability to gases is very low.
- The film is not subject to fungus attack and copper corrosion is negligible.
- Good physical and mechanical properties are retained over a wide temperature range.
- Service temperature range is -60 to 150°C. The effect of temperature is relatively small between -20 and 80°C.
- No embrittlement occurs at temperatures as low as -60°C, and useful properties are retained up to 150 to 175°C.
- Tensile modulus drops off sharply at 80 to 90°C.
- Polyester film Melting point is 250 to 255°C;
- Thermal coefficient of expansion is 15 x 10-6 in./in./°F;
- Shrinkage at 150°C is 2 to 3%.
- Polyester film density 1390 kg/m3
Biaxially oriented polyester films have outstanding mechanical strength, dimensional stability, transparency and chemical resistance. They are available in many different grades and they are used for a wide range of applications.
As per Polyester Film Properties and Material Options
- General purpose polyester films– have excellent mechanical properties, dielectric strength, and dimensional stability. These general purpose films are often used for industrial laminates and electric motor and cable insulation.
- Print treated polyester films– have enhanced adhesion to inks and adhesives. They are used for printing and solvent-based coating applications. These films are often specified for printed labels, masking applications, engineering drawings, and face shields.
- Slip treated polyester film– an optically clear, two side slip treated polyester film with high clarity and gloss, good dimensional stability, and excellent handling characteristics. It is used for flexible packaging, face shields, spacers, gaskets, and carrier film applicaitons.
- Hard coated polyester films– have UV-cured hard surface coatings that give them excellent scratch resistance. These materials have a smooth surface on one side and an anti-glare surface on the reverse side. These films are used in automotive applications, membrane switch overlays, appliances, nameplates, and touchscreens.
- Heat stabilized polyester film– an optically clear, glossy film with an adhesion promoting pretreatment on both sides. It provides very low heat-shrinkage due to the heat stabilizing process. This material is typically used for printed circuits and electronics.
Dehui Film is a polyester film manufacturer and supplier.For more polyester film data sheet and MSDS, Welcome contact us online.